First, log into your Gmail account and open the Settings panel. Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and verify IMAP is enabled and save changes.
Next open Outlook 2010, go to the Add new account window. Select "Manually configure server settings and or additional server types".
On the next screen, Select Internet E-mail - Connect to POP or IMAP server to send and receive e-mail messages.
Now we need to manually enter in our settings similar to the following. Under the Server Information section verify the following.
- Your Name: Enter First & Last Name
- Email Address: Enter your email address
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
- User Name: Enter your email address
- Password: Enter your email password
Next, we need to click on the More Settings button.
In the Internet E-mail Settings screen that pops up, click on the Outgoing Server tab, and check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Also, select the radio button next to "Use same settings as my incoming mail server".
In the same window click on the Advanced tab and verify the following.
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server encrypted connection TLS
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 25 or 465
Click OK when finished.
Now you can Test the account. Once Tests are successful, you can Click Next to complete the Outlook Account Wizard.